Get the Facts
Did you know:
- Congenital heart defects are America’s #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 125 babies is born with a CHD (almost 1% of all children born each year!).
- Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. 1 in 3 children who die from a birth defect have a congenital heart defect.
- This year almost 40,000 babies will be born with a congenital heart defect.
- In the U.S. twice as many children die from congenital heart defects each year than from all forms of childhood cancer combined. Yet funding for research of pediatric cancer is 5 times greater.
- From 1993 to 2003 death rates for congenital heart defects have declined by 31% due to advances made through research!
- There is not yet a preventative cure for any type of congenital heart defect.
- Of every dollar the government spends on medical funding only a fraction of a penny is directed toward congenital heart defect research.
(All facts and statistics care of American Heart Association)